Friday 12 February 2010

It has been a long time coming...and i am not sure that it was worth the wait...

Friday 12th February 2010
Yesterday, following a frustrating yet strangely enjoyable morning in Butare I came back to the Big G with three new panels of material...I decided that I was going to have at least one of them made into a skirt...there is a man in the village who sits in his front garden sewing on his machine...while his friends all sit around...sewing on buttons and chatting...I took my skirt along with the material for it to be copied...the waistband of the original skirt is gathered on very fine elastic...so I decided that I would go with a draw string instead...it took him less than an hour to make...I was sat in the baking sun and there was much laughter and the Mzungu who had come to have clothes made...my original skirt was passed around and examined...while I was only able to sit and watch...after about 45 minutes I was taken into a small room...where I was offered pop...sweets...beer...anything and everything...Finally it was made, I paid my 1,000RF (about £1) and I set off on my way...looking forward to trying on my new skirt...only I got home, only to be bitterly disappointed...I sort of knew that it would not be the same...I just hadn’t realised how different it would be...I think it will have to be made into something else as there is no way on this earth I can leave the house in it...not even in Rwanda! So...I got to thinking...how many chickens can you carry on a bike? And I really don’t know...a lot by the looks of things...every time I see a bike carrying chickens...there seem to be more than the last time...also...if you hang a chicken upside down they can’t move...but I would very much like to know who discovered that little piece of information...on that note of poultry...the cockerels here seem to be having some difficulty telling the time...they just seem to crow all day long...along with the cows mooing in sheds...and goats bleating...also...does anyone know when mosquitoes actually sleep? Because here...they don’t seem to sleep at all...they are biting day and night...they are really not my friends...but I am getting very good at catching them!!! I will not be beaten by the winged ones!...and while we are on the subject of bad animals...bloody spiders...the other morning I was getting ready for my shower when I found an eight legged nasty inside my pyjama top...oh the sadness...I just keep telling myself that it fell from the roof and had not in fact been sheltering in my night clothes!!!
Tuesday 9th February 2010
I enjoyed a thoroughly indulgent weekend...and I did absolutely NOTHING!!! It was really nice...the weather was amazing...and Monday (1st Feb) brought with it....not the joys of the dreaded weekly meeting...but a national holiday...which was more than welcome...Having left work on Friday evening and heading back to the house...I finally ventured back into the big wide world on Tuesday morning...I got the early morning bus up to Butare and then another bus to Kigali...I met with Emmanuel and Anna at the VSO office to discuss how Global Education can be included in the General Paper curriculum for Years 10, 11 and 12...the curriculum itself makes for some interesting reading...rather than objectives...it is a list of suggested areas which could be covered by the teacher...two of my favourite topics for study being...the internet...and...uses and abuses...but uses and abuses of what exactly...squirrels...spatulas...vacuum cleaners...plastic flowers...the list is endless...after several hours of work we were somewhere near ready for the meeting on the Wednesday...but not nearly as ready as we would have liked to have been! However...on Wednesday morning the meeting had been cancelled...as the man we were meeting with had a very urgent appointment elsewhere and our meeting was postponed until the following day...this gave us the chance to finish the work we had started on the curriculum and have something ‘proper’ to present at the meeting...Anna was unable to stay for another day so I went with Emmanuel to the National Curriculum Development Centre...the meeting was short but to the point and we have arranged to meet again to discuss the layout before the curriculum is finally finished...and I was finally able to head back to Gisagara...only to discover that in the time I had been gone...they have set up a regular bus service to the village...now this is the sort of thing which will change my life in the village...how very exciting!!! I arrived back in the pouring rain on Thursday evening only have to turn around again on Friday and head off again...I spent Friday evening in Nyanza...and then headed Lake Mukazi in the east...Julie is due to fly back to the UK on Tuesday so we had a finally farewell for her at Jambo beach on the edge of the lake...it was a lovely couple of days...the weather was pleasant...and the company was good...although the service was really bad...we waited over 2 hours for our food...and then on a trip to the toilet...there was a TATANTULA!!! (well...so Jason says!!) but whatever it was...it was bloody huge and bloody hairy!!!! I was on my own and did very nearly cry...I went back and told the others and they all came for a look too...but seriously...it was enormous...there was a lot of screaming and of course Jason had to try and touch it!!! Once we had recovered we headed back to the table and waited for our food...and waited...and waited...and finally at 10pm...our food arrived...only they had run out of bread so anyone who had ordered a sandwich only got half as there was not enough bread...only in Rwanda!!! Other than that...things have been pretty uneventful...Back in Gisagara...everything was pretty much as it has been for the past 6 months...Charlotte my Programme manager visited on Tuesday...all new volunteers have a visit from their programme manager during the first 3 months of their placement...mine had to be postponed because of the mentor training for the MINEDUC...Alexis was finally located and we were able to go ahead with the meeting...before heading off to Save sector where Charlotte wanted to do research for her Masters...The day actually went very well...Charlotte managed to get her research done and I was able to see an area of the district which I hadnt yet visited...the school was very welcoming and teachers and pupils alike seemed really nice...the school has got money...in the main office...there is a computer, printer, laptop, HUGE TV and a video player...I dont think I have seen that much electrical equipment in one room since leaving the UK...it is a school I am definately interested in visiting in the future!!!
Friday 29th January 2010
I have as usual been far too busy to write anything on my blog...The last time I wrote I had just had Dorothy and Julie to stay in the Big G...It was really nice to have visitors! I then spent 2 working in Gisagara...but the weather was cold and particularly miserable...the shower was so very cold it was only good for strategic washing...and that is never a good thing...Thursday and Friday were the education sector meeting days...I headed up on Wednesday...stopping in Butare on the way to check out motorbike lessons...I walked to the centre...and tried to explain myself in the best French I could manage...but it was no use...the lady didn’t understand a word I was saying! I finally gave up and headed back into Butare where I got the bus to Kigali...once in Kigali I used the internet for a while before heading out to Kabagabaga...where we were going to be staying for the next couple of days...The meetings took up most of the daytime and being so far out of town it was difficult to do anything in the evenings...but with warm water and electricity...things could have been worse...Friday brought a phone call from the Ministry of Education...myself and Libby were due to be training the last 30 teachers to become mentors...however...they decided that as one district was unable to come when it was there turn...they were going to come this week...meaning that we would have 40 participants with only two trainers...we discussed the situation with and decided to ask if there was any way we could have another volunteer to help us for the week...the initial response was ‘no’...but after some discussion it was decided that yes we could have one more volunteer (Amy) however they MINEDUC were not prepared to pay any expenses...so...it was decided...and Amy was to join us for the following week...on Saturday morning I went into town where I was able to Skype and have some lunch before heading out to Nyamirambo where Martine lives...we had a quick catch up before heading up Mount Kigali, the peak of which is Kigali’s highest point...after all that hard work and effort we headed to a bar near Martine’s house, where we had drinks and dinner...we headed home and then decided that we should head out and see what the nightclub in the hotel next door to the house was like...it is open every night of the week and always makes enough noise to sound like it is actually busy...however...on arrival at Nyamirambo’s finest dancing establishment...it soon became apparent that we were in fact the only customers they had had all evening...the TV was on and the staff were all just standing around not really doing much at all...we quickly decided that it was best to cut our losses leave...we decided to try one last bar for a quick drink before heading back to the house as Martine had a early start the next morning...I got the bus back into town late morning on Sunday had lunch and used the internet...on my way to St. Paul’s, where I would be staying for the next week...I bumped into the new volunteers who had arrived on Saturday...I agreed to drop my things...do an urgent bit of washing...(seriously...I will never again listen to a boy when talking about packing...you see...some of my pants were still wet on Wednesday when I was packing as the weather had been so bad and they had not dried...Ruairi could not see the problem as I had 4 dry pairs...and asked why on earth I would need a pair for everyday and a couple spare...and suggested that I only take 4 pairs and wash them...why on earth did I EVER think that that might possibly be a good idea!!!) and then I would meet them all for a drink in Heaven...I headed to St Paul’s where there was no one at the reception...I managed to find Amy and leave my things in the room her and Libby were sharing...I also did a little bit of washing...but made quite a mess and wasn’t able to rinse my clothes properly...so I gave up as I whole heartedly believed that Primus would in fact be the answer to all my washing problems! On my return to St Paul’s a couple of hours later, there was someone waiting for me with the key to my room...I settled in for the night with all my washing still to do! Monday was the beginning of the last week of Mentor Training at Kanombe...it was the usual slow start that we have grown used to...and now come to expect...but during the course of the first couple of days it became slowly more apparent that there were in fact, not going to be any more people joining us...we were a nice group of 20 participants...and a baby called ‘Desire’...thankfully we had Amy...and she was more than happy to be on babysitting duty each day while the babies mum took part in the sessions...Wednesday a smallish group went for a leaving meal and drinks at the Ethiopian restaurant...Friday came and although it has been an excellent experience taking part in the training...it will be nice to get back to Gisagara where I can get on with what I am really supposed to be doing! Saturday I packed and got ready to trek across town with all my bags...Saturday evening was the ‘Family Dinner’...every 6 months VSO do this as a way of all the volunteers getting together...having dinner...a few drinks and some dancing...however...no sooner had I met up with everyone in town that it started to rain...and heavily...we managed to get taxis to AEE Guesthouse...where I got ready VERY quickly...and headed out with the rest of the volunteers staying there...the dinner was nice...there was plenty of time to chat with the new volunteers which was very nice...On Sunday I headed back into town...managed to Skype and then got the bus back to the Big G with Ruairi...we stocked up on supplies in Matar and then got a taxi back to the village. Monday brought the joys of the Monday morning weekly meeting...only this time...it was not in the main hall as it usually is...but was in the Executive Secretarie’s office...yes...all the district staff were crammed into the office...but thankfully many of them were not there...but it was bad enough...and then there was the usual confusion and chaos about electricity...myself and Ruairi walked over to the education office...where there was no power...and have spent the rest of this week...moving from office to office...there has been no internet for several weeks now...as it was struck by lightning and needs to be repaired...goodness knows how long that will take??? Your guess is as good as mine! So...I have been in the office for the last week...typing exam results into Excel...now...the really frustrating part of this comes when you realise that the sheets with all the results on are printed...so somewhere there must be a soft copy...it is just not sent out to the districts...so that is how I have been spending my week...apart from yesterday (Thursday) when Cathy and Peter came to the village to have a look around and to meet everyone...it was nice to meet them...peter will be working at Cyamakuza School (where I am also hoping to do some work!) and Gisagara B Primary School while Cathy will be working in Kibirizi sector at 2 schools...true to form...all the people we really wanted to meet and introduce the new volunteers to were not available or could not be found anywhere...but at least they were able to get a feel for the area and meet some of the teachers. This weekend I am looking forward to having a nice peaceful weekend all on my own...I just hope that the electricity comes back on...not so that the lights work but so that I can charge my laptop...I have kept my word and have not turned the light in my room on since the giant flying maggot incident!

1 comment:

  1. I laugh out loud! And now I will look at bicycles and chickens and being doing mental math every time. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete