Thursday 3 September 2009

Dissertations to departure...

So, my dissertation is finished...bound and handed in...my tooth is fixed and my bags are nearly packed! I still have some bits and pieces to buy although I am sure that I will forget something anyway! We decided that the train to the airport would be best as it is bank holiday weekend and reading festival and the last thing I wanted was to get stuck in traffic on the M 40 or the M25! I arrived at the airport (surprisingly with time to spare) with my Dad, after saying my goodbyes at Banbury train station. When I went to check in, I was informed that although my main luggage was ok, I was 7kilos over for my hand luggage (not really surprising considering I had packed everything which made my main luggage too heavy into my laptop case and hand luggage holdall including clothes, books, notebooks, camera...so basically, a bit of everything!) I was told to go upstairs and I would have to pay my excess before boarding the plane. After meeting some other volunteers at the check-in I went for a coffee, before saying my final goodbye... It was only after I had been through the security checks that I realised I still £100 in my pocket...RUBBISH...what to do...other than spend it? I decided that perfume was part of the answer to this problem, however, I was not anticipating the ridicule I received from the shop attendant. Although, at 29 years old, I should know better than to ask for ‘Britney Spears’’ perfume (I know, I know, but it really does smell nice on me!!!!) so, anyway I settled for a large bottle of Armani Elle...only to discover another £30 in my purse! Finally it was time to board the plane. I seem to have been waiting for this moment for months, yet when it arrived, felt strangely nervous, but only for the fact that the man with the scales was there weighing peoples hand luggage again! Anyway, the man either felt sorry for me or really didn’t realise that I had two bags, he weighed only my laptop bag (without my laptop in it) so I sailed through with flying colours and no excess baggage to pay! Woop woop!!! On the plane out our flight was delayed, not that I minded...I was already asleep which was how it stayed, for most of the 8 hour flight, until we landed in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia at 9.30am on Saturday morning...Although I did wake once to see the most spectacular red and orange sunset!

No comments:

Post a Comment